Membership FAQs

Q. One member of a Juvenile partnership becomes 12 and so becomes Junior, the other dancer does not become 12 for some time, can the younger child dance Junior as well?
A. Yes, but permission must be granted by EADA, it is not automatic. Once a Juvenile is given permission to dance in Junior, he/she cannot automatically return to Juvenile if the partnership splits up; again permission from EADA must be sought. However this will only be granted in exceptional circumstances, so think hard before you elect to go up to Junior. If this problem is likely to occur, contact EADA in plenty of time so a decision can be made.
Remember age rules are slightly different for chart rated events - please see our useful info section for more details.
Q. How old does a child have to be before he/she can apply to become a Junior?
A. Generally - From the age of 10 and partner must be 12. For National Ranking Events only the elder must be in 12th year of birth.
Q. My child’s partner has become 16, can my child go up to Adult even though he/she will not become 16 for some time?
A. Yes, but only with the permission of EADA and only if the child is at least 14.
Q. Can a Juvenile partnership apply to go up to Junior early?
A.  This only applies to National Ranking Events.  When the eldest member of the partnership is in their 12th year of birth and the younger is more than 10 years the couple can elect to dance Junior from January 1st, providing they have approval from EADA.  Consideration should be given to the younger child as they may not be able to return to Juvenile EADA chart events if the partnership were to split.
Q. Do any separate rules apply to all girl partnerships (e.g. Chart rated event exclusions)?
A. No.
Q. Do Beginners need to be registered?
A. No, the lowest grade you have to be registered for is Novice. But it is wise to keep to the age ranges.

Q. When do I cease to be a beginner?
A. If a couple wins 2 Beginner competitions with six or more couples participating then the couple are promoted to Novice level.  See our guide to grade progression.

Q. My child has been registered with EADA for some years, does he/she still have to provide proof of age when renewing membership?
A. No, it is only required with your first registration, once we have a copy of the proof on record it will not be necessary in future years. Proof has been asked for so that EADA can be sure the child is dancing in the right age bracket and also to have suitable proof if we are told a child is allegedly dancing in an age range that he/she shouldn’t.
Q. When can a couple dance Senior/Over 50’s events?
A. Both members of the partnership have to be 35 or over / 50 or over, there is no flexibility on this. The same applies to Senior I , II, & III. For NREs both must be in their 35th year or more for Senior I, 45th year or more for Senior II, 55th year or more for Senior III.
Q. My child is partnered by a foreign national, is there anything I should do if I want to register them?
A. Register the Foreign National in the usual way and if necessary EADA will contact you.
Q. What is 'Electing' your country?
A. Couples who hold different nationalities are required to 'elect' the country they wish to represent; this must be country that one member of the couple holds a valid passport for.   You cannot change your  'elected' country without the agreement of both representative Associations.  You would need to  follow the registration rules for both of your country member organisations and be familiar with WDSF/WDC rules as appropriate. If neither member of the partnership is a UK national then we advise you discuss your situation with membership [at] eada [dot] org [dot] uk (Membership Secretary)
Q. I have lost my membership card, what should I do?
A. Contact the Membership Secretary on membership [at] eada [dot] org [dot] uk  Please note there will be an administration fee of £5 to replace a membership card.